Beauty

7 reasons your natural hair isn’t growing

Ninety percent of the women I know want a long and healthy hair. Many times I’m being asked by my co-naturalistas the reason their hair isn’t growing. One of the things I tell them is to not go natural because it’s trendy, but go natural for the right reasons. I shared my natural hair journey some months ago on this blog (if you want to read it click here). There are factors affecting hair growth and I will be sharing seven with you:

1. POOR DIETA balanced diet is necessary for a healthy hair and scalp. Just as our body needs good nutrients to stay healthy so also our hair. Our hair needs protein, iron, and vitamins to grow. If you eat junk food all the time, it can affect your hair growth. Eat more green leafy vegetables, nuts, fish (such as salmon), and fruits. Remember to always stay hydrated. Water is the best thing to drink to stay hydrated. healthiest-foods
  2. LACK OF MOISTURE/ Moisturizer is like water to our hair. it keeps our hair hydrated. If you don’t moisturize your hair, it becomes fragile, dry and brittle. This can lead to breakage. Get yourself a good hair moisturizer or leave-in-conditioner. Always moisturize your hair in the morning and in the evening before going to bed.
  3. WRONG PRODUCTS/ You need to find the right products for your hair, and also the products that work for it. The products your friend with a long hair is using might not work for your hair. Try reading the labels of your products to check the ingredients (I know some might say who has time for that). When I buy my hair products I take my time to read the ingredients. Some ingredients are harmful to natural hair. e.g: sodium laureth sulfate, polyethylene, alcohol etc. When you buy new hair products divide your hair into two sections and try the products in a section to see if they work for you.
  4. HAIR POROSITY/ It is important to know your hair porosity. Hair porosity is the ability and inability of your hair to absorb water and hold moisture.  There are 3 types of porosity. LOW POROSITY which is the type of hair that doesn’t really absorb moisture. NORMAL POROSITY which absorbs and also retains the right amount of moisture. It is always shiny. HIGH POROSITY which absorbs more water and moisture but it doesn’t retain moisture. This type of hair feels dull  and very dry. If you want to know your HAIR POROSITY you can try the FLOAT TEST whereby you fill a glass with water, take a couple of strands of your clean hair and put them in the water. If your hair sinks immediately then it is high. If it floats it is low, and if it slowly sinks then it is NORMAL.hair-porosity-test
  5. EXCESS HEAT/ Too much heat on your natural hair can cause hair split ends that leads to hair breakage. Try to use a minimal amount of heat on your hair. Instead of blowdrying your hair, you can air dry it (that is making it dry naturally). If you want to stretch your hair, you can try the African threading method ( I do it often). african-hair-threadingYou can flat iron and blow dry your hair, but not always because they dry out the moisture and oil in your hair. Remember to trim your hair too.
  6. STRESS/ If you are stressed and losing hair, the first thing to do is to get enough rest. You need to get a lot of sleep and find what makes you happy.  Hair loss caused by stress is only temporal, if you try to have patience your hair will grow back. Spend time with people that make you happy and take care of your hair too.
  7. BAD HAIR CARE/ One of the ways your hair can grow healthy is to build a hair care regimen. Regimen is the routine you set for your hair. Make sure your hair regimen include good products that aren’t harmful to your hair. Set a good plan for your hair.

Remember that your natural hair has to be nurtured . Moisturize daily and deep condition your hair at least once a month. If you have questions feel free to ask in the comment section.

Photos source: Google

1. Happy Great Day

March 1, 2019 at 6:37 pm

I asked my husband @iamnotoldnews to read this post because Tommy is The Good Chef 👨‍🍳 at our home. (I am just The Good Eater.) What a wonderful reminder that my skinny hair can be healthier with a better diet. We appreciate you. 🙏✨✨💖

March 1, 2019 at 7:38 pm

😂😂 I’m a good eater too❣❣ thanks Suzana

2. Olajumoke

March 1, 2019 at 8:32 pm

Very Good advise! I really love reading about natural hair ❤️
    Thanks a lot @bukolaorry

March 1, 2019 at 7:37 pm

Thanks Olajumoke ❣❣

3. simplenaijagirl

March 1, 2019 at 10:35 pm

Moisture, moisture, moisture! So important.

4. Stella

March 1, 2019 at 10:42 pm

Natural hair can be time consuming. Thanks for the encouragement!

March 2, 2019 at 5:19 am

Yes it can be time consuming, but it’s worth it. 😍❣❣

5. Beauty Vambe

March 3, 2019 at 6:53 pm

All tips were helpful especially Tip no 4 thank you Aunty Bukky

March 3, 2019 at 7:53 pm

Thanks for reading dear! I’m happy they were helpful❣❣ p.s: you make me feel old when you call me aunty Bukky 😁😁😁😂😂😂😘😘

1. Beauty Vambe

March 3, 2019 at 8:27 pm

❤️❤️❤️ lol
        Sorry it is the Nigerian in me. I know you are young 😘😘

March 3, 2019 at 8:59 pm

😜😜😜😘😘😘😘😘❣❣❣ thanks darling

6. Queen Karen

March 7, 2019 at 12:46 am

My hair grows but not like a garden. I think the product is my issue. I need to find other products. I don’t know but when I started my natural hair journey 8 years ago, it was moisturizing and oh lovely but now, it can get dry like a desert as if it hasn’t seen water in months. 2019, I decree and declare, my hair will flourish. No lack in this area. Great post 👌🏿😊

March 7, 2019 at 2:32 pm

Thank you Karen! I change hair products too when I discover they no longer work for me. Humidity can also be the cause of the very dry hair, because it absorbs the moisture of the hair and makes it so dry. Try moisturizing and wear protective styles too.

1. Queen Karen

March 7, 2019 at 4:53 pm

Thank you Bukola 😊. Have a wonderful day.

7. 3 signs of a healthy natural hair

April 12, 2019 at 4:05 pm

[…] previous natural hair post, I talked about 7 reasons your natural hair isn’t growing (click here to read). Today in my post, I will be sharing 3 signs of a healthy natural […]

8. thedewdiary

July 16, 2019 at 12:45 pm

thanks for following me as I was able to check you out and follow u back 😉

Ah I’m seeing lots of posts that can help a younger mother out! And I anticipated having to deal with African type hair from my child cuz out of all my siblings I inherited more of the kinky texture hair…marrying a full African et voila!

Baby girl at least inherited the speed of growth and volume of hair from her Chinese heritage yay!

Already mastered moisturizing, will work on healthy diet tips as well. Baby girl just turned 15months and scissors have never graced her curls. she is overdue for a trim yeah?

July 16, 2019 at 12:59 pm

Thank you so much for the follow and reading as well. My second daughter is 32 months old and I only trimmed the tip of her once in a while. Just keep moisturizing her hair, and use the right shampoo (sulfate free) for her. Thanks again for reading 💕💕

1. thedewdiary

July 16, 2019 at 5:36 pm

Alright just washed her hair today and did put her hair in corn rows. Yeah I think I need to trim. Haven’t done it at all. Hmm sulfate free..will check our shampoo

9. thedewdiary

July 16, 2019 at 12:45 pm

Keep doing what ur doing mama 😀