5 Best Summer Tips For Your Natural Haircare
Do you know that you have to protect your natural hair during summer? The sun rays can dry out your hair which can cause the hair to fall out. UVA and UVB rays can damage the hair and scalp just as much as they do to the skin.
Here are 5 best tips to help you care for your natural hair during the hot weather:
1. KEEP YOUR BODY & HAIR HYDRATED/ As I always say, hydration is very important. Our body needs water to function correctly and survive. Drink lots of water because it also keeps the hair hydrated . I always keep a bottle of water in my bag to drink, and a little spray of water to keep my hair and scalp moisturized. Get yourself a good hair moisturizer or leave in conditioner. A Leave-in conditioner is essential because it keeps the hair hydrated and also soften the strands of your hair.
2. HOT OIL TREATMENT/ Doing a hot oil treatment before you shampoo your hair is very beneficial to the hair even in other seasons of the year. The hot oil treatment infuse moisture into the hair by providing nourishment to the scalp. Most times I use coconut oil which nourishes and protects the hair. You can also try peppermint oil, pumpkin oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, and avocado oil.
To do this put your oil in a small bowl( ceramic or glass) and fill another bigger bowl with hot water. Let the small bowl containing the oil sit on the one containing the hot water. Make sure to let the oil cool off before applying to your hair and scalp. Then apply to the hair and scalp, place a shower cap over your head for about 10-20 minutes and rinse. I wouldn’t recommend the use of a microwave to heat your oil, because it strips away the nutrients of the oil. This method also promotes hair growth.
3. CO-WASH YOUR HAIR/ During the dry and hot summer period, we sweat more and get dust into our hair; which means that we have to regularly wash our hair, but washing the hair everyday with a shampoo can cause the hair to dry out, break and become brittle. Co-washing is what I do frequently in the mid-weeks. Co-washing is washing the hair with a conditioner. I prefer using a co-washing product that cleans and moisturizes my hair at the same time.
4. COVER YOUR HEAD/ When the weather is too hot, i like to wear straw hats to protect my scalp and hair from the UV rays. It helps the scalp to retain moisture, and you’ll also look fashionable too. You can also try covering your head with a silk scarf. If you don’t have a satin pillowcase, sleep with a satin scarf or cap( Even though mine always fall out from my head in the night😂).
5. SIMPLE HAIRSTYLES/ I try as possible to keep my hairstyles simple. This is the best time to rock your afro, but you have to remember to always keep your hair moisturized. I prefer doing simple protective styles like short braids and twists., or leave my hair in a bun( Be careful of your edges ) I don’t like hair touching my body when it’s hot.
Do you also have natural haircare tips to share with me and my readers? Leave them on the comment section.
***Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
***Alcuni dei link in questo post sono link di affiliazione. Ciò significa che se fai clic sul link e acquisti l’oggetto, riceverò una commissione di affiliazione senza alcun costo aggiuntivo per te.