Beauty, Hair care

7 Oils that work extraordinarily for my 4c natural hair

Do I really need to apply oils on my natural hair to make it grow?

This is a question an acquaintance asked me a few weeks ago. And today I will be sharing my answer with my readers.

If we want to have beautiful, healthy and long hair, one of the solutions is HAIR OIL. Because oils are a huge part of healthy hair.

I’m talking about completely natural oils that don’t contain chemical agents and alcohol.

There are hundreds of oils suitable for every hair type. You have to discover the ones that are suitable for your hair.

I’ll be sharing seven of my favourite oils with you today.

1. CASTOR OIL

This is a thick oil obtained by cold pressing ripe seeds of Ricinus Communis. It is rich in Vitamin E, fatty acids, minerals, and protein. Castor oil is particularly used to treat hair loss. It equally strengthens the hair strand and stimulates the scalp.

Castor oil can be applied directly to the hair and scalp. In addition, it can be used as a pre-poo treatment if added with olive oil or coconut oil.

2. GRAPESEED OIL

This oil is extracted from grape seeds which specifically contains Linoleic Acid, a polyunsaturated essential fatty acid that is found mainly in plant oils.

Grapeseed oil, as a matter of fact, prevents the hair from getting dry. It hydrates the hair and increases blood flow to the scalp. I love using this oil, especially during the cold seasons because it prevents frizzing, split ends and brittle hair.

3. MOROCCAN ARGAN OIL

This a rare and precious oil. It is extracted from the kernels of the Argan tree. This plant can grow and thrive only in the semi-desert regions of Morocco.

Argan oil has a reparative and protective effects. It is a great heat protectant. Apply it to your hair before you flat iron or blow-dry your hair.

One of the things I love about argan oil is that it eliminates dandruff by hydrating the dry scalp. It additionally strengthens fragile and brittle hair. It equally stimulates hair growth.

If you desire a thick, shiny, and healthy hair, get this oil.

4. PEPPERMINT OIL

This essential oil doesn’t only give a pleasant scent to hair products, but it is a very useful natural remedy to promote hair growth.

If you have thin or bald edges, you can mix this oil with a Jamaican Black Castor Oil to grow your edges. Peppermint oil accelerates the blood circulation in the scalp with the aim of promoting hair growth.

It purifies pores, eliminates bacteria, and fungi that causes dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis.

5. LAVENDER OIL

This another essential oil that does wonders on my kinky hair. Lavender oil is extracted from the flowers of the lavender plant mainly through steam distillation.

The oil contains extraordinary healing properties. It is useful in aromatherapy which helps reduce stress, anxiety, insomnia, and many more health issues.

Lavender oil can help prevent dandruff and hair fungal infection. It softens the hair and promotes hair growth. I usually massage my scalp with a few drops.

You can as well add it to your shampoo, rinse-out conditioner, leave-in conditioner, and carrier oils.

6. JOJOBA OIL

This oil produced from the seeds of Simmondsia Chinensis, a plant known as Jojoba. It is a shrub native to Central and South Americans.

In fact, Native Americans from ancient times, have always used this oil to treat sores and wounds.

Jojoba oil is well-known for its protective and beneficial properties. It is very helpful in treating dry scalp and dandruff issues. It repairs brittle hair and split ends too.

In addition, jojoba oil is ideal to treat a very dry scalp. It is an excellent oil to seal in moisture to the hair strands.

7. EUCALYPTUS OIL

The essential oil is obtained from fresh Eucalyptus leaves using the steam distillation method.

Every household needs this oil considering that it has anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory effects. This is certainly the reason the oil is often used to alleviate seasonal allergy symptoms. Thanks to its fragrance and disinfectant action, it is also perfect for cleaning the house.

Eucalyptus oil helps relieve the itchiness of the scalp, and can as well be used to treat hair loss.

When added to the scalp, it stimulates the hair follicles.

I regularly use this oil for my daughters’ hair to prevent lice. Eucalyptus oil is a proven lice repellent. Head lice spread easily at schools. and one of the ways to prevent it is by using essential oils like eucalyptus oil.

In conclusion, there are certain things to consider when using Oil in your hair. Firstly, you have to understand that oils are not moisturizers.

Oils don’t moisturize the hair. Natural hair needs water-based moisturizers that will penetrate into the hair shaft. Moisture is like oxygen for our hair.

Secondly, every hair type is different. You need to discover what works for your hair.

For example, coconut oil doesn’t work for my hair, so I don’t’ use it.

Get acquainted with your hair, and figure out everything about it.

Lastly, Do not use excess oil on your hair. Oil greases the hair, so it is important to dose it in the right way and use it when needed.

I hope this post helps anyone struggling with hair problems. If you have questions or suggestions for my natural hair readers, kindly write them in the comment section. Thanks for reading as always.

Ciao! Ciao ❤❤

IMAGE CREDITS: Pixabay

This post contains affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commissions. Read more here.

1. Temitope Michael-Olaniran

September 27, 2019 at 1:44 pm

You know I was expecting to see coconut oil on that list. Do you mix oils? I really like your hair. I have not been able to keep up with natural hair care. I just put a wig on it🤭 I need to do better.

September 27, 2019 at 1:51 pm

Ikr😁 coconut oil is always the number 1 oil on the list, but it doesn’t work for my hair. It only sits on the hair, and make it greasy. I have low porosity hair, and I only use castor oil as a prepoo treatment because it’s too heavy for my hair. It’s not easy as a mom to keep up with natural hair, because it’s a lot of work😊😊. Just do what you can do. Thanks for reading dear❤️.

1. Temitope Michael-Olaniran

September 27, 2019 at 3:51 pm

My pleasure. I will try castor oil😉

2. Shugunna Alexander

September 27, 2019 at 1:47 pm

I use oils for my locs but I have not gotten the right one yet, it still gets really dry. Very informative post! Thanks

September 27, 2019 at 2:08 pm

Our hair is naturally dry. Always moisturize it with a leave-in conditioner. You also need to know the oil that works for you. Because it also depends on your hair porosity. Thanks for reading 💖💖

3. CHINA ALEXANDRIA LIVING THE DREAM

September 27, 2019 at 2:10 pm

I THINK IT IS IMPORTANT TO STRESS IT IS BETTER TO HAVE HAIR THAT IS CLEAN AND FEEL GOOD RATHER THAN WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE, CHINA

September 27, 2019 at 2:13 pm

You are absolutely right. Thanks for reading 🙂.

September 27, 2019 at 3:28 pm

I have used the jojoba oil and castor oil. The jojoba is really great for dry scalp like you mentioned. I also use it on my face. I have always heard the castor oil is good for thin edges. Do you have an opinion on that? I’ve been using it on my edges but don’t see a huge improvement. I had dreadlocks for 6 years and I think it damaged my edges. I’ve also worn braids a lot. Thanks little sister this is so helpful. ❤️

September 27, 2019 at 4:46 pm

Castor oil might not work for all hair types. It doesn’t work on my edges too. But it works for some. Jojoba oil is just perfect. It’s also very good on the skin. Thank you very much for your constant support. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

September 28, 2019 at 12:44 am

You’re welcome! ❤️

5. Michelle

September 27, 2019 at 3:32 pm

I didn’t realize eucalyptus oil prevented lice. That’s good to know! I love peppermint oil. It’s so good for many different things. (You have beautiful hair, by the way. 😊)

September 27, 2019 at 4:49 pm

Eucalyptus and rosemary oils are very good to prevent lice. Thank you very much❤️❤️❤️

6. Queen Karen

September 27, 2019 at 6:17 pm

I love peppermint oil, rosemary, tea tree, castor, almond and eucalyptus oil. My go to will always be peppermint oil. It soothes my scalp and makes me want to sleep like a baby. I sometimes, put it in my shampoo and it does the job. Thank you for sharing Bukola 😊

September 27, 2019 at 6:52 pm

I love peppermint oil too. Its so soothing😊. Thanks for reading Karen and happy weekend❤️

7. Fettuccina13

September 27, 2019 at 7:00 pm

I don’t know anything about hair, am just lucky I have hair otherwise I would’ve been bald by now 😂😂😂 i neglect my hair so much
    but thanks for your post I can order some oil ❤️❤️❤️

September 27, 2019 at 7:39 pm

Lol. I’m happy the post was helpful. Thank you for reading.

September 27, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Thank you so much for this post. I mostly wear a protective style (my wig hair hat), but I do have natural hair under my hair hat lol. Natural hair has been very hard for me to maintain, and i dont know what products i should use,so I became a product junky. I love the Jamaican castor oil, but never tried the others, but I will .

September 27, 2019 at 10:18 pm

😅😅 LOL @ hair hat. I love that 😆. I was a product junky too. I had to learn what works for my hair. Thanks for reading and I’m happy this post was very helpful. 💖💖🌹

9. Florence Ezekafor